Wikia moves to new Infoboxes, called Portable Infoboxes. In short, these infoboxes use a much easier system with XML tags which can be customised by using css, and are fully compatible with mobile devices.
I have been working on rewriting both the templates and CSS for the infoboxes to make sure we can make the change as quick and painless as possible. On my sandbox I have added a section where examples of these new infoboxes are visible. For reference they also have been included at the end of this blog.
While the switch can be made without too much changes on the individual articles, there are a few things to keep in mind:
- The align parameter has been deprecated.
- The website parameter now requires complete input, something like
- Images can be added without square brackets ([ & ]) and the imagesize parameter has been deprecated in favor of automatic width. Any size in a link to an image will be ignored.
- All parameters are now optional, except for the title.
<poem>tags are no longer supported when using in combination with wiki-style links, requiring manual formatting with
<br>. I've reported this to Wikia.
- NOTE: According to Kirkburn, one of our former admins whom I contacted through special:Contact, "this isn't an appropriate use of poem" and he "would certainly strongly recommend switching to the br method whenever possible".
- For the templates using rounded borders, the inner lines have been removed due incompatibility with the portable infoboxes.
- For BookInfobox, the section "Price:" has been split in three sections: US, UK & Canada price.
- Because the templates have been ported using the migration tool, there may be a few typo errors.
- There may surface other bugs over time, some of which are documented on The Infobox Wiki.
See the changes immediately
- The CSS is already implemented wiki-wide, thanks to the efforts to Unownshipper, making this section redundant. There's no need to follow these instructions.
If you want to see the changes immediately, go to Special:Mypage/common.css and add the following CSS:
- Help:Infobox migration
Blogs/Threads on Community Central
- The Future of Infoboxes on Wikia
- Infoboxes are evolving - can you help guide their progress? (Very long page, may slow down your browser)
|Examples of the new portable infoboxes|
BioShock Research Rewards
BioShock 2 Research Rewards