"There is something more powerful than each of us, a combination of our efforts, a Great Chain of industry that unites us. But it is only when we struggle in our own interest that the chain pulls society in the right direction..." - Andrew Ryan
- "Oh… I dabble… but I'm no Sander Cohen…"
- ―The Artist's Struggle's shopkeeper[src]
The Gallery of the Artist's Struggle, commonly shortened to The Artist's Struggle, is an exhibition space that operates out of High Street in Rapture in the BioShock Infinite downloadable content, Burial at Sea - Episode 1.
Burial at Sea - Episode 1Edit
- Main article: Burial at Sea - Episode 1
The Artist's Struggle is one of many high-end shops operating out of High Street. The gallery is large and has a sizable collection of Modern and Expressionist works on display and for sale made by local artists, including Sander Cohen. Even the galleries curator has some of his own work on display. The facility also sells art supplies, as indicated by the canvases and paints in the back.
The store is one of the sponsors for Sander Cohen's private club, and therefore the owner, named in the in-game files as Arturo, is provided with a unique Invitation Mask as identification to enter the club. Booker DeWitt and Elizabeth must visit the gallery to look for the mask. Elizabeth poses as a prospective customer to distract the shopkeeper while Booker searches the back room. To keep the man's attention, she asks him to explain various pieces of abstract art.
- "Why hello. It's quite a breakthrough…"
- "Take your time. Take it all in."
- "Good day."
- "If there's anything I can do…"
- "Be right with you."
- "Please come in."
- "Just a moment."
- "Wonderful to see you."
- Shopkeeper: "Interesting, isn't it? An original Sander Cohen. He calls it "Miasma"."
- Elizabeth: "I'm sorry, but I know precious little about art."
- Shopkeeper: "How does it make you feel?"
- Elizabeth: "I don't want to open my mouth for fear of what foolishness might tumble out."
- Shopkeeper: "Would you like me to tell you what it means?"
- Elizabeth: "Oh, would you? Oh, I would like so much to understand."
- Shopkeeper: "In this piece, Cohen intended to show us the struggle of the great man — condemned to breathe the swampy air of the parasite."
- Elizabeth: "You see all that in that little picture?"
- Shopkeeper: "Yes, in fact — now did your companion go…"
- Elizabeth: "Oh, what's this one? Oh, please, it's so beautiful… what does it mean?"
- Shopkeeper: "Oh, my dear, that is something truly extraordinary… Shall I explain?"
- Elizabeth: "Oh, yes, please! Tell me everything! You're so knowledgeable… Why, you must be an artist yourself…"
- Shopkeeper: "Oh… [laughs] I dabble… but I'm no Sander Cohen…"
- Elizabeth: "Do you have anything of your own that you could show me?"
- Shopkeeper: "Well… yes… right over here…"
- Elizabeth: "You've given me so much to think about… I feel a trifle swoony… Would you mind if I returned tomorrow for further education?"
- Shopkeeper: "I shall be here at your service. Until tomorrow."
|Main Locations||Le Temps Perdu · Cohen's · Le Marquis D'Epoque · Maison Vosges · Rapture Records · Robertson's Tobaccoria · The Gallery of the Artist's Struggle · The Golden Rule · The Watched Clock|