The Sinclair Solutions Test Pack is the first of the downloadable content for BioShock 2's Multiplayer. It was launched on Thursday, March 11, 2010 across all platforms for $4.99 (400 Microsoft Points), £3.19. This DLC is not available over Xbox Live in Japan.
- Rank cap is raised from 40 to 50.
- Twenty new Multiplayer Trials. *
- New playable characters: Oscar Calraca ("The Playboy") and Louie McGraff ("The Jailbird").
- Third weapon upgrade for all weapons.
- Five new masks. *
*Some items are only available after the player achieves a rank of 41 or higher.
When the Sinclair Solutions Tester Pack first launched in March there was some controversy among fans when it was discovered that the DLC was actually just a key code to unlock content already included in the game files. The total size of the DLC file for Xbox was 108kb, and just 24kb for PC; far smaller than the size of the actual content being unlocked. Some allegations were made that it was dishonest for the developers to charge extra for content that was already in the game. Moreover concept arts present in the artbook Deco Devolution: The Art of BioShock 2 shows that the new characters, weapon upgrades and unlockables were developed alongside the main games' other assets and not after its release.
In a post on the 2K BioShock Forums, the Community Manager for 2K Games, Elizabeth Tobey, explained that it was necessary to have the unlockable content in the game files for everyone. The engine and game structure required that players have exactly the same content to play together. Making the DLC unlockable content was a tactic to prevent splitting the player base.
Behind the Scenes Edit
- As stated above, all the third weapon upgrades and the two new playable characters are illustrated in the artbook, Deco Devolution: The Art of BioShock 2, present in both limited editions for the game.
- On Xbox Live and Games for Windows Live, downlodable contents have their own logo headers over the description. For the Sinclair Solutions Tester Pack, it features the BioShock 2 logo on the left and a colored version of the Sinclair Solutions logo on the right, with "Tester Pack" written in deco font under it.
- ↑ 2K Games announces BioShock 2's DLC Plans.
- ↑ 'BioShock 2' (ALL) Reveals Extensive DLC Plans
- ↑ See JeuxVideo for more screenshots.
- ↑ Major Nelson's page on the DLC.
- ↑ "Bioshock DLC on the disk?" article by Liam Hunn on Gamedot.co.uk
- ↑ ""BioShock 2’s Disc-Free DLC Has Gamers Peeved" article by Jared Newman on PCWorld.com
- ↑ "BioShock 3 found on BioShock 2 disc" article by Nicholas Deleon on CrunchGear.com
- ↑ Post by 2K Elizabeth on 2K Forum thread "2K: Why is the DLC 24kb only?"