- For the brand with the same name, see Safe (Brand).
Safes can be found in offices, hideaways, behind counters in stores, stashed in corners, and sometimes behind paintings. They may be hacked or bought out in order to be opened. Once a safe is opened, the contents may be as rewarding as a plot item (gold outline), various loot or rare items.
- Main article: BioShock
- The Alarm Expert, Hacking Expert and Safecracker tonic lines will reduce the number of Alarm Tiles when hacking.
- The Focused Hacker, Hacking Expert and Safecracker tonic lines will reduce the number of Overload Tiles when hacking.
- The Hacker's Delight line of tonics will restore a part or even the totality of the player's Health and EVE after completing a successful hack.
- The Safecracker line of tonics will increase the number of Resistor Tiles and decrease the number of Acceleration Tiles.
- The Speedy Hacker and Safecracker line of tonics will slow down the flow of the liquid when hacking.
- Main article: BioShock 2
- The Careful Hacker line of tonics will make the needle move slower.
- EZ-Hack will make the green and blue zones slightly larger.
- The Hacker's Delight line of tonics will restore a part or even the totality of the player's health and EVE after completing a successful hack.
- Hurried Hacker will make landing in a blue zone complete the hack instantly.
- Quik-Hack will make hacking have fewer stages.
Safes are securely-locked containers. The only way to open them is to hack them (or buy out the hack), but they always contain valuable items.
- Main article: BioShock Infinite
There are also a number of safes found within the city of Columbia. Unlike the previous games, these safes require a certain number of lockpicks (from one up to five) in order to be unlocked. These contain Silver Eagles, and in some cases, other items such as Medical Kits. A few of these safes have already been opened, exposing the money inside. Occasionally, one can find silver and gold bars lying around opened safes.
Burial at Sea - Episode 1Edit
"Come on in and show us those snappy snappies." - Peach Wilkins
- Main article: Burial at Sea - Episode 1
Safes appear in Episode One of Burial at Sea. However, instead of the looting icon appearing, these safes expose the contents directly.
Burial at Sea - Episode 2Edit
- Main article: Burial at Sea - Episode 2
In Episode Two, Elizabeth is made the playable character, and safes are now opened through the Lockpicking mini-game. Each safe in the Episode contains a new mod for one of Elizabeth's Plasmids and Vigors.