- "Pick your Plasmid and evolve!"
- ―Mural advertising Plasmids in Rapture
- "Imagine if you could be smarter, stronger, healthier. What if you could even have amazing powers, light fires with your mind... That's what Plasmids do for a man."
Plasmids are special serums made from processed ADAM that introduce modified stem cells into the body, allowing for genetic modification and mutation, giving the user what some might call "super powers". Active Plasmids require EVE for use, while passive Plasmids, called Gene Tonics, provide an effect merely by being equipped. Plasmids are powerful, but excessive use of them leads to physical and mental addiction and instability. This was a major factor in the eventual downfall of Rapture society.
Plasmid Listings Edit
- Main article: BioShock Plasmids
- Main article: BioShock 2 Plasmids
- Main article: BioShock 2 Multiplayer Plasmids
- Main article: Vigor#Burial at Sea Plasmids
Behind the Scenes Edit
- The use of the name "Plasmids" was inspired by the term in genetics for circular extra-chromosomal DNA strands that can be found in cell's mitochodria, in bacteria and some eukaryotic cells. These molecules are commonly used as vectors in genetic engineering.
- The player uses a Plasmid given by Brigid Tenenbaum to rescue the Little Sisters. This is the only unnamed Plasmid, nor is it contained in any Plasmid/Tonic Slot.
- In the early development video of BioShock, Hunting the Big Daddy, the player could wield Plasmids in both hands at once.
- Originally, Plasmids appeared as small, white bottles with red caps and red labels. This is evident from BioShock's Hunting the Big Daddy video, when finding the removed Plasmid, Splicer Irritant.