- For the Multiplayer Level of Neptune's Bounty, see Neptune's Bounty (BioShock 2 Multiplayer).
|Previous level||Medical Pavilion|
|Next level||Smuggler's Hideout|
|New weaponry||Grenade Launcher|
|New Plasmids||Security Bullseye|
|Gene Tonics||Medical Expert|
|Power to the People||1|
- "It's scientific fact, that a diet rich in fish and sea greens improves cognitive function. Don't you want to be as brilliant as you can possibly be? Visit Neptune's Bounty..."
- ―Public Address Announcements
Neptune's Bounty (occasionally referred to as Port Neptune) is the third level of BioShock. Jack reaches Neptune's Bounty by the emergency Bathysphere docked at the Medical Pavilion. His objective here is to obtain a Research Camera and pictures of three different Spider Splicers for a fisherman named Peach Wilkins in order to gain entry to the Smuggler's Hideout and escape the city with Atlas and his family.
Neptune's Bounty was a large fishery complex in Rapture where the vast majority of the cities fishing businesses were located. One of these businesses, Fontaine Fisheries, served as a cover for Fontaine's illegal smuggling operation. Crates with the smuggler's icon (a black hand) still lie about, their contents seized by the Rapture Port Authority before Jack's arrival. Much of the remaining goods consist of Bibles and crucifixes, contrary to Rapture supposedly being a non-religious society.
A significant event which happened at Neptune's Bounty was the discovery of the Sea Slug which was found to produce ADAM. A fisherman with a crippled hand was bitten by one, and Dr. Brigid Tenenbaum noticed the man's hand had regenerated. It was through Dr. Tenenbaum's following experiments that ADAM, EVE, Plasmids, and Gene Tonics came to be developed in Rapture.
- Main article: BioShock
The Wharf in Neptune's Bounty is by far the largest area. Split into three parts, it was most likely the busiest part of Neptune's Bounty during the day, with the fishing subs of Rapture going in and out to deliver their fish.
In the center of the Lower Wharf, Jack can clearly see a massive mechanism. Though in disuse now, it was most likely used to load the Subs into the docks. It was here that Tenenbaum discovered the sea slug that contained ADAM. (Also a note to all players, under the wooden floor on the north side, there is an Audio Diary that gives a clue to what allows Jack to wander around Rapture).
Upper Wharf is the connection point where the workers can reach the Wharfmaster, the Jet Postal or the Fighting McDonagh's tavern after a hard day at work. Upper Wharf was also likely used as the packaging and distribution area for the docks production, if the fish did not go to Fontaine Fisheries.
The Wharfmaster's Office is the highest floor of the fisheries, and was used as a police station in the docks. It was run by Sullivan, Ryan's chief of security, to regulate activities at Neptune's Bounty by enforcing the law against smuggling. Much of the area is filled with evidence tapes and files. It seems to have fallen into disuse after Fontaine was killed, and Sullivan resigned over the death penalty being instituted for smuggling.
Fontaine Fisheries was essentially the "front" for the smugglers in Neptune's Bounty. Appearing as only a giant freezer for fish, it concealed an entrance to the Smuggler's Hideout. Enemies of Fontaine were tortured and killed here before being frozen beneath the ice; when Jack arrives he can use Incinerate! to reveal two of these people, one having tried to write It was Fontaine on the ground before dying. Peach Wilkins continued to run the fisheries even after Fontaine's apparent death, and it became a refuge for him and other smugglers during the end of the Rapture Civil War. It will be here that Jack will be forced to fight the remaining smugglers and Peach as the man's paranoia about Fontaine's "ghost" unhinges him.
Fighting McDonagh's was the place for rest at the end of a working day, possessing a fancy entrance into a normal pub/bar area (now completely in disuse) looking out into the sea. Upstairs there are three rooms. One to the right was most likely being used as a safe-house as it contains a safe, weaponry and a mattress. One the left contained only a Splicer and a dead man, chained to a bed, along with other trivial items (accessing this room springs a trap conducted by the Splicers).
The Shorten Alarms Tonic is located in room #7. A code must be entered to unlock the room. The code is located in the Upper Wharf. As soon as you go up the stairs, and through the corridor from Lower Wharf to Upper Wharf, go left. In the next big opening, there is a small waterfall near the left wall. There you will find the audio diary for Masha Come Home. The dialogue reveals the code, 7533. Use this code to open the door for room #7.
When you enter the room, you will find the audio diary Saw Masha Today. After playing it, the painting moves revealing the tonic, Shorten Alarms.
Opposite the Fighting McDonagh on the viaduct walkways is one of Rapture's Jet Postal installations, where mail was sorted and many of the mail system's network of Pneumo lines converge. Mailboxes are located in the facility. A Spider Splicer which Peach Wilkins wants researched using the Research Camera is located here.
New Discoveries Edit
Single Use Events Edit
- There is 1 Power to the People vending machine
New Weaponry Edit
New Plasmids and Tonics (Found) Edit
- Medical Expert - Lower Wharf
- Security Bullseye - Upper Wharf
- Shorten Alarms - Fighting McDonagh, Room 7
- Wrench Lurker - On the ledge near the Gene Bank and Gatherer's Garden on the way back to Fontaine's Fisheries.
- Focused Hacker - In the entrance to Fontaine Fisheries, frozen in ice.
New Plasmids and Tonics (Available at a Gatherer's Garden) Edit
- Extra Nutrition - Price: 20 ADAM
- Machine Buster - Price: 20 ADAM
- Plasmid Slot - Price: 100 ADAM
- Sonic Boom Price: 40 ADAM
- Target Dummy - Price: 60 ADAM
- Winter Blast - Price: 60 ADAM
New Enemies Edit
Coded Doors Edit
- Lower Wharf - 5380
- Fighting McDonagh, Room 7 - 7533
- For Radio Messages in Neptune's Bounty, see Radio Messages: Neptune's Bounty - Smuggler's Hideout.
- Sullivan - Timmy H. Interrogation
- Andrew Ryan - Fontaine Must Go
- Sullivan - Bathysphere Keys
- Brigid Tenenbaum - Finding the Sea Slug
- Mariska Lutz - Masha Come Home
- Sullivan - Picked Up Timmy H.
- Andrew Ryan - Watch Fontaine
- Sullivan - Have My Badge
- Brigid Tenenbaum - Adam Discovery
- Bill McDonagh - Eden Leaking
- Brigid Tenenbaum - Fontaine's Smugglers
- Andrew Ryan - Death Penalty in Rapture
- Sullivan - Smuggling Ring
- Andrew Ryan - Working Late Again
- Bill McDonagh - Arresting Fontaine
- Mariska Lutz - Saw Masha Today
- Bill McDonagh - Meeting Ryan
- Peach Wilkins - Putting the Screws On
- Bill McDonagh - Rapture Changing
Hallways to Lower Wharf
Peach Wilkins' Room 1
Lower Wharf, 2nd Visit
Halls to Upper Wharf
Stairs to Wharfmaster's Office
Halls to Jet Postal
Fighting McDonagh's Tavern
Back to Glass Passage
Peach Wilkins Battle
Return for Ammo and Lower Wharf
First Lower Wharf Area
Exit, Freezer Right
- This level is one of the locations of the extra Little Sister bug.
- With the Xbox 360, if the player downloaded the 1.1 patch and DLC and loads the Plasmid Sonic Boom at the Gatherer's Garden, the player may experience the fourth Little Sister glitch in this level. A possibly related side effect off this is that the player cannot pick up ammo, even if the player's weapon is not at full capacity, until all of that ammo type has been discharged.[confirmation needed]
Behind the Scenes Edit
- Despite the fact that Atlas had originally planned for Jack to go directly to Neptune's Bounty from the Transit Hub in Rapture's Welcome Area, nowhere in Neptune's Bounty will the player find a passage leading to the Welcome Area. There are not even any locked doors or blocked hallways which might lead to other areas in Neptune's Bounty containing such a passage.
- In one of the lower rooms of Fighting McDonagh's Tavern, a Big Daddy can be observed outside a window. If one were to go into No-Clip Mode (PC/Mac Only) and pass through this window, they'd find this Big Daddy to have fully functional AI. Upon attacking the player, it will return to speeds comparable to being out of water.
- In Roman mythology, Neptune is the god of water and the sea and his bounty is the sea food, hence the name of this district of Rapture (the Greek equivalent is Poseidon).