- "Darling Masha -- We don't know what has happened to you… Ryan's men have taken you away and said you are needed to save Rapture. Who needs a child to save a city?"
- ―Mariska Lutz[src]
Samuel and Mariska Lutz came to Rapture seeking a new life and a safe place to raise a child. Soon after they arrived, they were blessed with a daughter, Masha. Raising a child in an underwater city provided unique problems. When Mariska took Masha on her first trip to Arcadia, what was meant to be a walk in the park turned into a nightmare when Masha saw trees for the first time. The poor girl was terrified of the unknown objects and screamed. While that encounter was eventful, it was nothing compared to what was to come.
During the Rapture Civil War, Masha was taken by Andrew Ryan's men and turned into a Little Sister. Her parents held out hope that she would find her way back to them. One day, however, they witnessed Masha walking hand-in-hand with a Big Daddy and harvesting ADAM from a corpse near Fontaine Fisheries. Masha no longer recognized her parents, most likely due to Dr. Suchong's mental conditioning. Mariska and Samuel eventually committed suicide in despair. Their bodies can be found within room #7 of The Fighting McDonagh's Tavern in Neptune's Bounty.
Burial at Sea - Episode 2Edit
- Main article: Burial at Sea - Episode 2
Masha is found by Elizabeth with another girl named Leta in Dr. Suchong's Free Clinic, where both girls have been turned into Little Sisters. The girls are seen cowering in fear from an injured Bouncer, which they refer to as "Monster". Once Elizabeth reveals that the Big Daddy will die without their ADAM, the two girls feel sorry for the monster, believing that it's unfair he's going to die. Leta then injects him with some of Masha's ADAM-rich blood, healing him. The Big Daddy then adopts the two girls, completing the bond that Suchong had been working so hard to create.
Behind the ScenesEdit
- In Burial at Sea - Episode 2, both Masha and Leta's eyes do not glow yellow, despite the fact that they have been implanted with Sea Slugs and are shown to produce ADAM.
- Her name is spelled as "Mascha" in the novel BioShock: Rapture.
- The imprinting scene in Burial at Sea - Episode 2, with Masha, Leta and the Bouncer, was made into a real-life collectible statue.