- "The PADDYWHACKER: A revolver with immense stopping power."
- ―Fink Manufacturing advertisement
The Paddywhacker, known in-game as the Hand Cannon, is a top-break revolver which is based on the 1851 Colt Navy revolver and can be used by Booker DeWitt in BioShock Infinite and Elizabeth in Burial at Sea - Episode 2. It is an accurate and rather powerful firearm, strong enough to kill certain enemies with a single shot and even decapitate them entirely.
The revolver is seen in the Heavy Hitters Part 1: Motorized Patriots trailer when Booker encounters a Motorized Patriot. In the final game, the Hand Cannon can be first acquired when meeting up with Mr. Flambeau.
The revolver's cylinder holds six cartridges, and is single action. At most, the revolver can fire up to 75 rounds per minute, however Booker is limited to 24 total rounds, or four cylinders. The player first encounters the Hand Cannon immediately before entering the Plaza of Zeal the first time. From this point on, it is a relatively common weapon, though it is not used regularly by most enemies. Its primary drawbacks are its heavy recoil and slow firing rate; however, these disadvantages are offset by its extreme stopping power, comparable to the Bird's Eye or China Broom. Unlike those weapons, the Hand Cannon remains highly effective in mid-range combat, and is capable of killing most of the non-Heavy Hitters in one headshot, including in Hard mode. When taking on Heavy Hitters such as the Handyman, with the Hand Cannon's slow rate of fire, it is recommended to use Vigors that stun the opponent. Murder of Crows, Shock Jockey, or Undertow, allow the player to line up critical shots with minimal risk of retaliation. When using this gun with the Shock Jockey Vigor, you can have a clear headshot while the enemy is stunned, making it a great combination.
- High damage dealt
- High accuracy
- Critical damage
- Damage increased with Head Master
- Effective in close to mid-range combat
- Relatively common
- Extreme stopping power
- Quick reload time
- Quick Handed decreases reload time even further
- Effective against Heavy Hitters (such as Handymen)
- Heavy recoil (though it can be reduced)
- Slow rate of fire
- Small magazine size
Burial at Sea - Episode 1Edit
- Main article: Burial at Sea - Episode 1
In Episode One of Burial at Sea, Booker starts out with a Rapture Hand Cannon with only three bullets in the cylinder.
Burial at Sea - Episode 2 Edit
- Main article: Burial at Sea - Episode 2
Concept, Pre-Launch, and Promotional ImagesEdit
Behind the Scenes Edit
- Whether reloaded mid-magazine, or reloaded early, the Hand Cannon appears to have one round left in the chamber when reloaded.
- An image in the gallery above depicts a pre-release Hand Cannon that was originally intended to be a solid frame revolver with a swing-out magazine. The final version found in BioShock Infinite, used by Booker, Founders and Vox alike, is instead a break-action revolver.
- A manual ejection rod can still be seen situated under the barrel of the Hand Cannon despite it being a break action. This is most likely left over from when the weapon had a swing out cylinder.
- Concept art from Mauricio Tejerina featured on the BioShock Infinite: The Siege of Columbia board game shows the picture of an unused Vox modified Hand Cannon, which featured a different looking and cruder revolving cylinder, as well as red pieces of cloth attached around the grip and barrel.
- The first armed Early Splicers encountered in Burial at Sea - Episode 1 and Episode 2 use the Hand Cannon.
- The Hand Cannon looks grossly oversized in the hands of Female Splicers in Episode 1, but is inexplicably changed in Episode 2 to be the size of a normal Rapture pistol.
- The achievement/trophy Loose Cannon requires 25 kills with the Hand Cannon to unlock.
- If the player waits to pick up the Hand Cannon until they reach Columbia in Burial at Sea - Episode 2, it will still have the appearance of the Rapture variant.
- ↑ Detailed list of weapon and boss hp and damage stats from Gamespot
- ↑ Back cover of The Siege of Columbia board game.
|Weapons in BioShock||Wrench · Pistol · Machine Gun · Shotgun · Grenade Launcher · Research Camera · Chemical Thrower · Crossbow|
|Weapons in BioShock 2||Drill · Rivet Gun · Hack Tool · Machine Gun · Shotgun · Research Camera · Spear Gun · Launcher|
|Ion Laser (Minerva's Den)|
|Weapons in BioShock 2 Multiplayer||Pistol · Shotgun · Tommy Gun · Grenade Launcher · Crossbow · Nail Gun · Elephant Gun · Rivet Gun|
|Weapons in BioShock Infinite||Burstgun · Carbine · Crank Gun · Hail Fire · Hand Cannon · Heater · Machine Gun · Pistol · Repeater · RPG · Shotgun · Sky-Hook · Sniper Rifle · Volley Gun|
|Weapons in Burial at Sea - Episode 1||Air Grabber · Carbine · Hand Cannon · Shotgun · Tommy Gun · Radar Range|
|Weapons in Burial at Sea - Episode 2||Air Grabber · Radar Range · Hand Cannon · Shotgun · Crossbow|