- “Well, friends, I am here today to tell: those are no flights of fancy! Those are no tall tales told behind the pool hall! No sir, No ma’am, those are VIGORS I’m talking about…”
- ― Vigor Barker[src]
The Fairgrounds are the carnival area of Columbia's Town Center; the area where the city celebrates their secession from the United States. In honor of the annual fair, the locale is celebrating the technological marvels Columbia has to offer such as the Sky-Lines, Easter & Sons Premium Automated Stallions, Voxophones, and even the amazing Handymen. In addition to the fair food, high striker game, clown, and bluegrass band, several stands are set up to entertain the masses with Vigors and carnival games.
- “Who amongst you has tasted the divine gift of the vigor! One swig, and feats of wonderment are at the tips of your fingers!”
- ― Vigor Barker[src]
A carnival game for a Shotgun practice to shoot as many Vox Populi targets off the Sky-Lines within 40 seconds.
Practice using an air Carbine to shoot as many Vox Populi targets within 30 seconds. Bonus points for hitting the anarchist Daisy Fitzroy.
Try out the Bucking Bronco Vigor to hit a man in a devil costume while trying to avoid hitting the woman and child.
A Veni! Vidi! Vigor! machine nearby offers 4 charges of Bucking Bronco for $375.
While observing the overheard boxcars roll down the rails, two citizens converse about how skyline riding was invented by adolescents looking for a joyride. However, casualties were high amongst the thrill-seeking youths using makeshift apparatus, leading Fink to invent the Sky-Hook.
Mechanical horse paw the ground as spectators listen to the recorded messages explaining their useful functions.
- “Make a memoir. Record a ditty. Recite poetry for your little lady and play it ad-infinitum!”
- ― Voxophone Boothkeeper[src]
Booker tries out a Voxophone at the insistence of the barker. It repeats back "What's a Voxophone". Booker declares that he's not paying for it to which the barker replies that it is merely a demonstration.
- “Step right up and see the eight wonder of the world! He's big! HE's bold!”
- ― Handyman Barker[src]
Two citizens converse with one admiring the Handyman's strength while the other feels pity.
A beautiful lady offers her wares of bottles of Possession. Next to bottles of Salts, a gramophone and a projector provide further explanatory detail.
- Main article: BioShock Infinite
After trying out some of the booths, Booker attempts to travel on to the Path of the Scroll. However, the raffle is sold out and the gates are locked by an overzealous admission machine. Fortunately, a Possession hawker offers him a free sample, permitting him to take over the machine who recognizes him as an Assemblyman Buford. Just behind the gates, a gentleman and a lady ask Booker to flip a coin before letting him pass.
Bugs / GlitchesEdit
- The large replica of the Possession bottle by the respective booth can be used by the player to get out of the map. The player must jump on it from a certain angle, then from the bottle jump to the side of the booth and then over the barrier. This allows the player to skip the raffle and no enemies will spawn. Also, if the player uses this glitch, the game will consider that you went to the raffle and chose to throw the ball at the interracial couple as Flambeau will appear at Battleship Bay with a Gear.
- It is possible to glitch the game to earn enough money to purchase the Bucking Bronco sample from the Veni! Vidi! Vigor! machine. It involves blocking the gate during the coin toss so it does not close. Returning to New Eden Square will cause the carnival game prizes to reset, also allowing machines to be re-Possessed. Does this repeatedly will eventually earn enough funds to purchase the Vigor. However, it will have odd effects since the NPCs in the Fair are not coded for combat.
Behind the ScenesEdit
- The booths play various Scott Joplin compositions.
- The live band plays "Wild Prairie Rose", an original song written by Jessy Carolina and performed by her band Ommie Wise.
- The fairground mini-games were intended to provide an optional introduction to the game's weapon systems without using tutorials that interrupt the flow of the game. In addition, it helped to introduce the Vox Populi as enemies of the Founders.
- Much of the fair's signage was designed by Laura Zimmermann.
- ↑ BioShock Infinite Speedrun Former World Record - 1:49:07 on YouTube
- ↑ Bioshock Infinite: Unlocking Bucking Bronco Timelapse on YouTube
- ↑ Unlocked Bucking Bronco early image gallery
- ↑ "Jessy Carolina and Bioshock Infinite" article at Gamer Horizon, published May 14, 2013
- ↑ IGN - BioShock Infinite - Columbia Raffle and Fair @ 2:00
- ↑ In-Game Signage, Concepts and Narrative Set Pieces Laura Zimmermann's Portfolio (archived)