"There is something more powerful than each of us, a combination of our efforts, a Great Chain of industry that unites us. But it is only when we struggle in our own interest that the chain pulls society in the right direction..." - Andrew Ryan
- "Luxury because you deserve it."
- ―Advertisement for Bathyspheres DeLuxe
Bathyspheres DeLuxe is a large showroom located in the Housewares department of Fontaine's, visited during Burial at Sea - Episode 2. This store specialized in luxurious personal Bathyspheres created and produced by Fontaine Futuristics, and also serves as a hub for recreational businesses such as the Silver Fin Restaurant and the Manta Ray Lounge.
Bathyspheres DeLuxe sold bathyspheres to suit the personalities and lifestyles of wealthy citizens, from busy businessmen and their wives, to playboys and debutantes. The watercraft came in colorful, flashy designs similar to the cars of the 1950s. Many of these Bathyspheres never got to leave the showroom, as the closing of the store left the new Bathyspheres inaccessible to the department store's customers, and the shutdown or reorganization of the company and then the Civil War stopped production completely.
Burial at Sea - Episode 2Edit
- Main article: Burial at Sea - Episode 2
The DeLuxe is where the majority of the Episode takes place. Elizabeth enters the DeLuxe in an attempt to find Yi Suchong. After exiting the elevator, she sees a man playing guitar and singing pro-Atlas songs outside the entrance. When she enters the main showroom, she encounters the same Big Daddy that killed her earlier. The DeLuxe has been overrun by Splicers, so it's recommended Elizabeth stay in the shadows and out of sight.
The Showroom served as a large hub between the different sections of the DeLuxe. Before its closing, new advertisements for the next year's Lux Collection, the new bathysphere models, and brochure stands where added to the showroom. When Elizabeth walks through the entrance, she lays her eyes on the same Big Daddy that killed her, wandering aimlessly in the showroom.
The centerpiece of the area is a large glass display with the Stingray model inside, with the text "New For The 1959 Model" circling around it. Two sets of blue bathyspheres were also displayed similarly to the Stingray, only smaller, and with stairs spiraling by them. The stairs have advertisements reading; "Be The Envy of Rapture" and "Luxury Because You Deserve It" on the wall by them. The left stair leads to the Manta Ray Lounge and the Service Bay, while the right goes to the Silver Fin Restaurant and Maintenance. Test-Drive is located by the entrance, along with a Circus of Values vending machine. A pathway goes from the Silver Fin Restaurant to the Manta Ray Lounge, around the Stingray display, giving easy access between the restaurant and the club. Underneath this pathway is the Bathysphere Sales office and the Information Kiosk. On the windows by the far wall is a large sign reading "The Future of Travel," which some Splicers favor as a catwalk. Three different display windows showcasing a bathysphere's effect on the life of the Rapture Citizen. The first one shows a man giving the keys to a brand new 'sphere as a gift to his wife, reading "Give Her A Special Treat". The second has a woman looking seductively at a man and his new bathysphere, reading "She Won't Look Away". The third has a joyful blonde mermaid opening a clam, containing a red bathysphere, reading "Discover The Best In Luxury."
Elizabeth will find the Showroom in chaos when she returns from Columbia, with Splicers struggling against Ryan Security. The pathway from the Silver Fin to the Manta Ray has been destroyed during the assault, forcing Elizabeth to get there through different means. As Elizabeth continues toward the club, she witnesses a Houdini Splicer massacre other splicers seeking the exit.
A once luxurious restaurant that catered to Fontaine's customers, it was taken over by Yi Suchong under Ryan Industries when Tears started to appear in the restaurant. Suchong managed to create his own Lutece Device and used it to open Tears to Columbia, from which he started to collaborate with Jeremiah Fink.
The Manta Ray Lounge was once a large nightclub, but after Fontaine's was converted into a prison, it was turned into a storage facility by Atlas' men. It was eventually broken into by desperate Splicers.
Where potential customers could test drive Bathyspheres, it has now been converted into a heavily protected headquarters for Atlas.
An area where maintenance and repairs were carried out on Bathyspheres. Elizabeth must go here to retrieve the CO₂ Scrubber for the broken Lutece Device.
Shoppers who had inquiries or wanted information about the shops inside the Bathyspheres DeLuxe showroom or the Department Store came to this desk window. After Fontaine's was converted into a prison, it was turned into a make-shift soup kitchen before being overrun by Splicers.
Bathysphere Sales OfficeEdit
Potential buyers were brought into this office facility by sales spokespersons to discuss purchase of bathyspheres, and to draw up contracts. After the Department Store's conversion to a prison, medicine and drugs were stored here, and the back office was used as an impromptu medical facility. By the time Elizabeth arrives, the doctor has been killed and the entire office has been looted. There is a broken lighthouse snow globe on a desk, which if examined, will cause Elizabeth to see the future events of an airplane crash site by a lighthouse.
Fontaine's many ventilation and heating systems were maintained in these rooms. In an attempt to stop vandals from interrupting, trespassing, and doing further damage to his work within the Silver Fin Restaurant, Suchong had the vent leading to the restaurant blocked off and hidden by a cabinet. He also planted turrets within the ventilation system.
Single Use EventsEdit
- 4 Coded Messages
- In the Information Kiosk (labeled as "Food")
- In the Bathysphere Sales Office (labeled as "Medicine")
- In the Employees Only area of the Test-Drive
- In the Control Room of the Service Bay
New Plasmids and ModsEdit
- Peeping Vision Mod - Service Bay
- Peeping Cloak Mod - Manta Ray Lounge
- Possession - Outside Bathysphere DeLuxe
- Possess KO Mod - Bathysphere Sales Office
- Possess Turret Mod - Service Bay
- Old Man Winter - Test-Drive
- Winter Forget Mod - Information Kiosk
- Winter Mod - Silver Fin Restaurant
- The Silver Fin Restaurant's door - 1216
- The Service Bay's Control Room's upper door - 7951
- Samantha Kemp - This Atlas Guy - On a desk in the reception of the Test-Drive.
- Morris Lauderman - Pennies on the Dollar - On a counter in the kitchen of the Silver Fin Restaurant.
- Yi Suchong - Imprinting Roadblocks - On a desk under drawings of Columbia, upstairs of the Silver Fin Restaurant.
- Felix Molloy - For All Occasions - On a round platform (used as a desk) in Atlas' Hideout of the Test-Drive.
- Kay Flannigan - Old Man Winter Giveaway - On a desk under a balcony in Atlas' Hideout of the Test-Drive.
- Emmett Wyman - Prison Intel, Dispatch #8 - In the hand of Emmett Wyman's corpse, in the Employees Only Area of the Test-Drive.
- Florence Baxter - Hooligans - In a sink in the locker room of the Service Bay.
- Sal Cantone - So Long, Suckers! - In the bathysphere, stationed on maintenance platforms #05 in the Service Bay.
- Andrew Ryan - Building the Impossible! - On a shelf inside the locked Control Room of the Service Bay.
- Johnny Demarco - C'est La Vie - By the corpse of Johnny Demarco, in the Main Lounge Reception, on the left of the counter in the Manta Ray Lounge.
- Samantha Kemp - Atlas Provides - In the locked Storage Area of the Manta Ray Lounge, siting on a tray of plates.
- Frank Fontaine - You Stupid Bastard - Hidden inside Frank Fontaine's secret room in the Manta Ray Lounge. Only found after finding all four Coded Messages and interacting with the bottles on the shelf.
Bugs / GlitchesEdit
- If Possession is used on the man playing the guitar outside of the DeLuxe, the Plasmid will have no effect except that he will stand up and start to run. The guitar will be floating in mid-air and disappear after some time.
Behind the ScenesEdit
- The Bathyspheres in the showroom are similar in style to 1950s American cars. They are colorful, have Art Deco advertisements, and even have "fins" at the body's back. Most new auto models had 'fins' back then as a style.
- The floor models used in the display windows of the showroom were designed by Kat Berkley.
- After returning from Columbia, some of the ornamental lighting sconces are missing or unusable, like the one over the Silver Fin Restaurant and one in the Manta Ray Lounge.
- When Ryan Security attacks the DeLuxe, the player can find a very strange corpse in front of the Information kiosk. The body is that of a female Early Splicer, but the the head belongs to a male Rapture Citizen.
- The lighthouse in the snow globe, found in the Bathysphere Sales Office, uses the model of the Maine Lighthouse from BioShock Infinite.
|Exit Plaza||Toys · Ryan the Lion Preparatory Academy · Cupid's Arrow|
|Bathyspheres DeLuxe||Silver Fin Restaurant · Test-Drive · Service Bay · Manta Ray Lounge|